Sunday 20 November 2011

Château Claymore 2007: A big, bold bargain


I discovered Château Claymore 2007 last week in my local gastro pub.

On the menu it was under £30. Retail it's just £14. Amazing value, in my book.

It's the biggest, boldest Saint-Émilion I can recall having.

I'm not a huge fan of Merlot-driven wines full-stop.

As 10-30% of a mix, Merlot works well, but I have yet to be convinced that right bank Bordeaux Merlot's can compete with the left bank Bordeaux Cabernet Sauvignon wines.

That said, one has to keep an open mind.

A friend of mine is determined to sway my view so we'll see over time. I know I've not had that much of the good stuff. Although even the 1996 Vieux Château Certan I had recently didn't blow me away given the cost.

I know some Saint-Estèphe wines (one of my favourite areas, particularly in the south where it borders Pauillac) have a much higher Merlot content than you'd imagine for a left bank region.

Alongside my reticence about Merlot-driven wines I'm not generally a massive St Emilion fan. I often find it, well, a bit lacking in character in comparison with left bank or Châteauneuf-du-Pape wines.

However, that said, the Claymore 2007 is well worth £14.

It went very very well with rare duck breast and had all the attributes you'd want for a robustly flavoured red meat dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment