Sunday 20 November 2011

Chateau Lamothe Cissac 2003: Deal of the year, if you can get it


I found this wine earlier this year at Planet of the Grapes in Leadenhall Market, London.

Actually a friend discovered it and introduced me.

Eight or so bottles later, I am very much sold on it as a red wine gem.

We were drinking the 2001 at about £25 plus corkage. It's incredible value.

Following that, I bought six of the 2003's at £25 a bottle from everywine.co.uk, which now appears to have been shut down.

This site claims to have the 2003 at £16 per bottle.

At that price, I'll be buying two cases as soon as I can.

I doubt you'll get it at that price (I haven't been able to), but even at £25, it's a gem.

It drinks like a £50-£100 wine, in my view. Both the 2001 and the 2003 are superb at the price.

It's not for the faint-hearted.

I recall it's really very robust for the region, a big nose, great tannins, a long finish, and is aging very well indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment