Monday 6 February 2012

Barons de Rothschild Lafite Réserve Spéciale 2007


"Lavish aromas of bramble, plum and vanilla. Then a sumptuous mouthful of damsons, ripe blackberries and soft, silky tannins. Beautifully structured and long-lasting". So says the Laithwaite's website, and who am I to argue with that?

I think this is a REAL find. We had two bottles on Christmas day and it was the best we had all holiday, (with the exception of this, a lovely Chateau Gruaud Larose 1998)

For the price (three bottles included in a 15 bottle Laithwaites case for about £160) you simply have to hand it to Laithewaites, it's a stunner.

Apparently, "Charles Chevallier, the winemaking legend behind Lafite, oversees production from premium Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, cherry-picked from the finest sites".

Why they sell it at that price I don't know, but am forever grateful. Unfortunately it's not available right now. Which may make the glass I hold in my hand the last I drink of it. I'm certainly appreciating it on that basis, or any other. I'll keep looking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment