Friday 2 November 2012

Chateau Lilian Ladouys 1995, great value vintage drinking

Of all the wines I've tried recently, I think this one represents the best bang for my buck.

The Chateau doesn't get great reviews on the web.

The Wine Doctor, aka Chris Kissack, says he expects great things in the future from them.

Perhaps I got lucky with this bottle of 1995. At £28 from The Sampler in Islington, London, I thought it was the pick of the bunch that I've bought recently.

They don't appear to have it any more. I can see why it sold out so fast. This site says they have it for £25 a bottle.

It's classic aged, top value Saint-Estephe. Big, minerally, but perfectly aged. The bottle I had was at its peak.

Saint-Estephe wines are not for the faint-hearted, though this one is not as bold and mineral as a Pez, for example.

But if you like your Bordeaux with some character, this is a steal if you can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment